Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Sunday...best day ever!

It was a day of emotion, excitement, energy, everything I could ever imagined. There was a lot of anticipation building up the previous two weeks after we knew who was ready to go on Super Bowl Sunday. A lot of discussion and phone calls happened to family members discussing the game plan including what and where they would be during the event! I had just finished watching a video celebrating previous victories. Finally, after all the discussing, planning, strategizing, excitement, prayer...there I stood at the bottom of the steps.

I had the honor of baptizing three folks (Yvonne, Laura, and Jose), and there I stood in the baptistry, watching Jose exit past my oldest son, Caleb, who stood at the top of the steps garbed in a white robe wearing a big, nervous smile on his face. It had already been an emotional day doing the previous three baptisms and watching the highlight video from Decision Day. As he came down the steps, I could feel my stomach start to bunch up and the tears start to build.

I don't really cry that much. Now, I don't believe in that "real men don't cry" machismo garbage...I actually believe the opposite (See John 11:35). I'm just not wired to cry a whole lot. However, as my son now stood in front of me looking up at my face, I knew the tears were imminent. I introduced him, "And this is my son...Caleb Gray." The clapping was immediate, before I had even baptized him. The tears started to flow.

I choked through the Good Confession and wept more as I heard my 9 year old son repeat the most important words that he could ever believe. "I believe...that Jesus is the Christ...the Son of the Living God...my Lord and Savior!" WOW.

Is there anything more important than that single statement. When Jesus asked Peter who he thought Jesus was, that was Peter's answer. Simple...precise...perfect. That statement is said by many, but I believe you should also live that statement. That statement should be as evident in our lives as any tattoo would be.

What a joy to hear Caleb's voice repeat those words and, with tear filled eyes (both mine and his), to watch him be lowered under the water and rise to walk in a brand new life (Romans 6:4). The cheering from the church escalated. Indescribable. Truly amazing.

So what do you truly believe? My nine year old has a long way to go as far as figuring God out...so do I. But we both know one thing for sure. Jesus IS the Christ...THE Son of the Living God. God doesn't call us to figure everything out and then come to Him. He says to come right now...just as you are (Romans 5:8)...and put your faith in Him. In fact, that's what faith is all about...trusting that God is who He says He is without having everything figured out.

Faith like a child...it's a wonderful thing to watch, behold, and be a part of. Thank you Caleb for being an example to your dad, and thank you Jesus for your amazing Grace, Forgiveness, and Love.

Consider Christ every moment of every day. Live like He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Stay strong.

Tim





No comments:

Post a Comment